I've come to realize that casseroles and soups last a lot longer in our house. They are great for lunch time or leftover for dinners. Though I love to cook, having leftovers makes it a lot easier in the evenings with less dishes and more time to play. With that being said I found a great casserole type dish: Baked Penne! The recipe had simple ingredients, so I added a few more veggies to make us feel healthy. I would say this is an "intermediate" level due to the blending in the food processor, but if you are not in a rush, take it easy with making this meal. Violet LOVES this meal and kept signing "more" whenever she ate what was on her tray. After a while we had to cut her off...that girl can eat!
Ingredients:
8oz dried penne pasta (I used whole wheat)
1 14oz can Italian-style tomatoes
1/2 of a 6oz can Italian-style tomato paste
1 clove of garlic
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
1lb ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced, pitted olives
1 cup chopped mushrooms
2 big handfuls of spinach
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
1. Cook Pasta according to package; drain. Meanwhile, in food processor bowl combine undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, sugar, oregano and pepper. Cover and blend until smooth. Set aside
2. Preheat oven to 375F. In a large skillet cook ground meat and onion until meat is brown. Stir in tomato mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cover and simmer for 10 mins. Stir in cooked pasta, olives, mushrooms and spinach.
3. Spoon the pasta mixture into a 9x13 pan. Cover and bake for 30 mins. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, Uncovered for 5 more mins or until cheese is melted. (Makes about 6 servings)
I don't have the best food on camera skills but I know I wont make a recipe unless I see the picture, so here you go!
mmmm...a bunch of broccoli on the side!
Wednesday, March 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment